Living with haze
August 26,2016
Having lived in Singapore for more than 5 years now, it been a common thing already. I know around the third quarter of the year, I'll wake up smelling something is burning and end up having cough due to the burning sensation in my throat.
This is exactly what happened this morning when we left our house going to the office. The moment I stepped out of our doorstep, the usual fresh air that I loved to breathe in to start my day sadly I felt like I'm at my grandparent's backyard smelling the burning grass that they just swept to clean the surroundings that morning (probinsya feels).
So for my kababayans who are new to this experience, here's a little background on where does this smoke came from and what are the things you can do to keep your health intact during this season. Yea, it's like pollen season in Japan wherein most of the Japanses wear masks, in Singapore, it's haze season.hehe
Haze comes from forest burning in agricultural land in the region. In Singapore's case, it is the burning of agricultural fields in Indonesia and due to wind direction, smoke is carried across the city.
Air quality is measured by PSI(Pollutant Standard Index) as per below:
photo credit from: www.haze.gov.sg
This means that when the PSI level reaches 100, it's unhealthy already especially for children, elderly and those with chronic heart or lung disease. Below is Singapore's health advisory on what are the recommended activities to maintain good health during haze season.
photo credit from: www.haze.gov.sg
As of writing, it's 2:22pm now, and the level in our residential area is 88, while 95 here in my workplace. Compared to the level this morning which is just 52, the trend is getting higher. I pity my kids for not being able to go out to play in the park. And even inside our house, smoke can still be smelled.
Here are our haze essentials that I usually prepare when this season comes:
1) N95 Masks - This is a staple during this season. Offices usually gives our to employees and even the government sends out a few pieces through mail. Stores run out of sale and a lot of order list. So go on and buy yours while you can still find some!
2) Air purifier or humidifier - We got one of these when haze season came after I gave birth to our first daughter. Our kids health is a priority and buying one might be an extra expense on our pockets but nothing beats seeing your kid healthy despite this kind of air condition.
3) Be prepared with cough syrup and some panadol. Together with burning sensation on your throat comes headache, so these two is a must have!
4) A handkerchief or tissue at hand - When you're living on a budget but still wants to maintain your good health, then this is your go to essentials.
So there you have it! Hopefully you find it helpful. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me.
Always remember, live happily and everything will follow!
Jeannine
Having lived in Singapore for more than 5 years now, it been a common thing already. I know around the third quarter of the year, I'll wake up smelling something is burning and end up having cough due to the burning sensation in my throat.
This is exactly what happened this morning when we left our house going to the office. The moment I stepped out of our doorstep, the usual fresh air that I loved to breathe in to start my day sadly I felt like I'm at my grandparent's backyard smelling the burning grass that they just swept to clean the surroundings that morning (probinsya feels).
So for my kababayans who are new to this experience, here's a little background on where does this smoke came from and what are the things you can do to keep your health intact during this season. Yea, it's like pollen season in Japan wherein most of the Japanses wear masks, in Singapore, it's haze season.hehe
Haze comes from forest burning in agricultural land in the region. In Singapore's case, it is the burning of agricultural fields in Indonesia and due to wind direction, smoke is carried across the city.
Air quality is measured by PSI(Pollutant Standard Index) as per below:
photo credit from: www.haze.gov.sg
This means that when the PSI level reaches 100, it's unhealthy already especially for children, elderly and those with chronic heart or lung disease. Below is Singapore's health advisory on what are the recommended activities to maintain good health during haze season.
photo credit from: www.haze.gov.sg
As of writing, it's 2:22pm now, and the level in our residential area is 88, while 95 here in my workplace. Compared to the level this morning which is just 52, the trend is getting higher. I pity my kids for not being able to go out to play in the park. And even inside our house, smoke can still be smelled.
Here are our haze essentials that I usually prepare when this season comes:
1) N95 Masks - This is a staple during this season. Offices usually gives our to employees and even the government sends out a few pieces through mail. Stores run out of sale and a lot of order list. So go on and buy yours while you can still find some!
2) Air purifier or humidifier - We got one of these when haze season came after I gave birth to our first daughter. Our kids health is a priority and buying one might be an extra expense on our pockets but nothing beats seeing your kid healthy despite this kind of air condition.
3) Be prepared with cough syrup and some panadol. Together with burning sensation on your throat comes headache, so these two is a must have!
4) A handkerchief or tissue at hand - When you're living on a budget but still wants to maintain your good health, then this is your go to essentials.
So there you have it! Hopefully you find it helpful. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me.
Always remember, live happily and everything will follow!
Jeannine
Comments
Post a Comment