A trip to NUH...yet, again =(
September 22, 2016
I know I haven't posted a blog in a while. Forgive the busy lady..haha..If you only knew how much I have in my mind to write down but is still finding some time to write it all to you.
Good news first!
Photoblog for the 3day weekend that I've mentioned in my last blog will be up on the next few day...so blessed to have relaxed from our fast-paced living. just hold on...haha
Just an update also on the latest happenings on our family, we WON a milk contest!!!!woohoo!!! you read that right! A MILK CONTEST, specifically from Wyeth, S-26. Prize was a year worth of milk, 24 tin cans, 900g, You won't believe the stress, excitement, and thrill we've been having this past month. - Will post more about this in another blog.
I owe you 2 blogs now... =)
So let's go back to topic. Yes, we're back to NUH again this early morning. At around 12:30am, I was awakened by Jeffrey calling me from the bathroom. Good thing Ysabelle just asked for milk and I still wasn't back to my deep sleep. (yeah, I'm a deep sleeper) What I saw when I went in was a Jeffrey that seemed in labor pain. literally! He was on all fours, on his hands and knees, then going on fetal- position, then lying down on our bathroom floor.
| photo credit from Google |
Apparently, what he thought was a simple stomach ache but severely a painful one. At first, I was telling him that it could only be diarrhea and that he should squat in the toilet bowl. I gave him a stool at this point for him to raise his feet at it to make the squat position easier and a pillow to hug onto. I also put some manzanilla oil in his stomach and back to help ease the pain. I was also checking on him other symptoms that I can check on google to have an idea in what he's experiencing.
1) sharp pain on left side of stomach
2) pain spreading from abdomen to back
3) pain when passing urine
With these, what came up was acute pancreatitis. Then I remembered, for the past few weeks, we have been passing by Filipino stores and buying local snacks(junk food), canned goods and instant noodles. Added to this was his impulse buying of soft drinks and consuming it like there's no tomorrow. Too bad his body had to undergo this pain just to make him/us realize the bad effects of our unhealthy food intake.
The pain went from severe to unbearable that he asked me to bring him to the hospital. Since it's not our practice to have painkillers at home, getting one means going to A&E. So I quickly woke up our helper to watch over the kids while we went out, booked for a taxi, put in my purse the necessary things and grabbed our jackets, and off we went.
Thank God our taxi came immediately. We haven't even got out of our condo when Jeffrey felt he's about to vomit. I was about to ask the driver to stop for a while so he could vomit outside. Good thing he was fast to tell that it's just a false alarm. Our driver was kind enough to hand me a plastic in case Jeffrey would really vomit. As usual, at every emergency, a trip to the hospital seems like going to eternity.
When we arrived, Jeffrey immediately went in while I paid for the cab. One thing I love about Singapore is their fast and easy transaction on almost everything. I arrived inside with the nurse getting Jeffrey's temperature. A form was given to me to give to Counter 2 the A&E consultation charges of SGD 108.00. It may seem expensive but if you need to have something checked, and doesn't want the hassle of going to a GP, then get referred to another doctor, then A&E is the best way to get medicated at a fixed price. Especially for foreigners like us, a trip to a GP costs a minimum SGD 50. Though that includes some medicine already, but if you needed to get some other things like X-ray, or needs to have your urine checked or worst, needs to be observed at a time being, then that would mean going to another medical clinic. Not only did you waste your time but in an expensive city like Singapore, every dollar is important. In my opinion, you should go to a GP if you know that what you're feeling is as simple as flu. Other than that, it would be wiser to go to an A&E.
| photo credit from Google |
To be frank, I'm not a fan of hospitals. I don't think someone really is actually unless you're a nurse, doctor or your work is really in the hospital. But if your intention on going to a hospital is to be healed from something, I bet you've been feeling like a butterfly is in your stomach, but in a bad way.
My perception changed in going to hospitals when we moved to Singapore. I'm not sure if all hospitals here are like NUH (National University Hospital), as so far, that and KK Women's and Children's Hospital are the only ones I've been to. We find KK creepier, like hospitals in the Philippines..hehe...compared to NUH. Not that NUH is like a mall or something, but with its updated buildings, well-lit hallways, easy access to MRT (Kent Ridge MRT) and a lot of food stalls/restaurant/fast food to choose from. Doesn't it feel homey than like torture place for many? Having given birth twice in this hospital and a lot of emergency trips already, I would highly recommend you to go here in case you need to go to a hospital in Singapore. Another thumbs up is a lot of Filipina nurses work there. It's not that I love going there, but not like before that going to the hospital would feel like dragging my feet going, now, it's felt better.
| photo credit from Google |
And so I got off topic again..hahaha...anyways, those are my thoughts about hospitals and NUH. After paying, a nurse checked his vitals and asked some questions like what time did it started, and how painful it is at that moment. Jeffrey couldn't sit still with the pain that the vitals machine cannot get his vitals accurately. I need to force him not to move for a while for it to do its work. The nurse said, it's crucial to know his BP as giving painkiller would depend on it. If his BP is too low, then painkiller cannot be given. He was also asked to collect some urine so they could do some tests. After getting jabbed on his hip, we waited for about 30 minutes. By this time, Jeffrey was already lying down on a row of vacant seats in the waiting room snuggling in his blanket. It was very thoughtful of NUH to provide free blankets for patients/companions who feels cold. Another thumbs up for this, small things matters =)
The doctor-in-charge did an ultrasound on his abdomen, checked his body and decided to give him another shot of painkiller as the pain still have not yet subsided despite getting the previous one. They also let him stay inside for them to observe for an hour. So, as you can see, at this point, our SGD108 has well been used already. I decided to just lounge on the waiting area. Luckily, that early morning wasn't packed. From the time we arrived, only a group of people, which I assume had a vehicular accident (about 5 people all in wheelchairs with bandages on either knees or arms), what's your guess???
Anyways, good thing I was able to grab my phone charger before leaving home. Going home isn't an option as the train isn't available yet, and taxi rates are still sky-high. And I'm all good with my cell phone get me entertained. I also grabbed some snacks. It didn't even notice how fast that hour passed by.
Jeffrey came out after, still a bit in pain and with some documents in hand. A medicine prescription is to be given to the pharmacy to collect his medicine, a medical certificate to excuse him from work in the next 2 days, and an appointment letter to see a Urologist on Friday.
Let's see what's up to on Friday. Hopefully, his consultation will turn out well and not too complicated.
Please help me pray for his health.
Update: Sept 23,2016
Hubby just came back from his consultation from the Urologist, apparently our self-diagnosis (acute pancreatitis) was wrong..hehe...he has some kidney stones =( He's been given a new set of medication to soften relax his urinary tract and hopefully flush those stones.
Update: October 6,2016
It's been more than a week now since Jeffrey have been out of the hospital. Since the day he came home from the hospital and was able to flush out his kidney stone, he's been back to normal. Well, except for a day or two after as he still felt light-headed which might be the side-effects of his pain killers. He's been admitted again on the 26th September as he felt so bloated already from the day he started the medication the Urologist have given him. He has not urinated well enough to compensate his water intake. We decided to go back to A&E before things get more complicated. Our decision has been correct. His kidney has already been infected and swollen already by the time we arrived. Doctor-in-charge decided that he needs to be admitted for observation. Pain killers are given again. The drip helped him hydrate more to be able to normalize his passing urine. After a day of observation, CT scan showed his kidney was back to its normal size and stone has been out of his kidney and passed through his ureter already. They said since it's down in his bladder, it's up to him to get it out of his urethra. He was discharged that afternoon even though kidney stone hasn't been out yet. On his way home, he drank cranberry juice and needed to hold his pee until he arrives home.
Apparently, holding his pee have helped his as when he pissed, instant relief! Stone went out!!! After that, he was back to normal..hahaha...The next day was back to work and was even scared to drink coffee..hehehe..
Too bad hubby learned the hard way. I think no more chips and carbonated drinks from now on =)
Update: Sept 23,2016
Hubby just came back from his consultation from the Urologist, apparently our self-diagnosis (acute pancreatitis) was wrong..hehe...he has some kidney stones =( He's been given a new set of medication to soften relax his urinary tract and hopefully flush those stones.
Update: October 6,2016
It's been more than a week now since Jeffrey have been out of the hospital. Since the day he came home from the hospital and was able to flush out his kidney stone, he's been back to normal. Well, except for a day or two after as he still felt light-headed which might be the side-effects of his pain killers. He's been admitted again on the 26th September as he felt so bloated already from the day he started the medication the Urologist have given him. He has not urinated well enough to compensate his water intake. We decided to go back to A&E before things get more complicated. Our decision has been correct. His kidney has already been infected and swollen already by the time we arrived. Doctor-in-charge decided that he needs to be admitted for observation. Pain killers are given again. The drip helped him hydrate more to be able to normalize his passing urine. After a day of observation, CT scan showed his kidney was back to its normal size and stone has been out of his kidney and passed through his ureter already. They said since it's down in his bladder, it's up to him to get it out of his urethra. He was discharged that afternoon even though kidney stone hasn't been out yet. On his way home, he drank cranberry juice and needed to hold his pee until he arrives home.
Apparently, holding his pee have helped his as when he pissed, instant relief! Stone went out!!! After that, he was back to normal..hahaha...The next day was back to work and was even scared to drink coffee..hehehe..
Too bad hubby learned the hard way. I think no more chips and carbonated drinks from now on =)
Be good always,
J
Comments
Post a Comment