Lessons to learn from Princess Diana
September 5, 2016
I'm not a person who followed the life of Princess Diana nor am a fan of British Royal Family.
I only knew them briefly due to media frenzy news regarding the what about's of their family like what they wear to an occasion, who got engaged, who just died, etc. But looking up at the articles at Yahoo this morning, this article caught my attention and I thought I can add up my two cents on each of them. I love reading life lesson articles online and try to adapt those I think would be applicable. That's my way of going out of the classroom learning book thought lessons and applying it in real life.
So here's Diana's life lessons according to Yahoo article: https://sg.style.yahoo.com/life-lessons-princess-diana-121808142.html
1) Know your priorities. “Family is the most important thing in the world.”
J : This is one reason why my hubby and I are trying to plan our comeback to our beloved country, The Philippines. To think that we already have the advantage and bigger chance of moving forward in migrating to career and family oriented countries like Australia and Canada, after much thinking, we settled and fixed our minds that indeed, The Philippines would be our destination to settle down for good. Another factor that made us decide this big decision for our family is the nationwide clean-up that our tough and patriotic leader President Rodrigo Duterte has started. To be honest, it was when he won as president that I felt proud again to say that I'm a Filipino. Living in a city like Singapore and seeing the difference between your country and theirs, you'll really feel how the Philippines sucked in a lot of ways. Anyways, as they say, change is coming! and I/we would be there to make sure our country stands back up to show the world how we are! yeah! see how patriotic am I now!hehehe
2) Treat others how you’d like to be treated. “Carry out a random act of kindness with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”
J: I've always been a strong believer of the golden rule! "Do not do unto others what you do not want others to do unto you". Thus, I make sure to live by this in my everyday life and hopefully inspire my daughters to do the same.
3) Show children you love them. “Hugs can do a great amount of good – especially for children.”
J: I remember the other morning, we're about to go to the office when our eldest woke up. I hugged her and said to her "I love you" multiple times. All I can see from her is her eyes twinkling of love and her sweetest smile. She didn't even reply "I love you too", as what she usually does, but that moment, no words are needed. It was magical! Both of us felt the love connection.
4) Don’t be afraid to show affection. “I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of feeling unloved.”
J: Every time I would bring along my eldest daughter to do groceries on a Saturday morning, there would always be a moment that she would hug my leg and say, I love you, mommy! I might not know what's so special that made her say that while we were just getting some fish and veggies but that kind of moments I would always treasure. If only I could catch those moments and have it recorded as a keepsake. If kids could be this affectionate, why not we show some love to others as well. Of course, we don't need to hug and say "I love you" but just be giving in general. Giving up your seat in public transportation to those in need, opening a door for someone (this isn't just for the gents) could make a difference.
5) Chuck out the rule book. “I don’t go by the rule book. I lead from the heart, not the head.”
J: I always love reading inspirational and life lesson articles. Most of the time, I go by them, but my husband thinks in a different way. His thoughts would be, though most of them might be true, but most of the time, it's not reality for us to make as a model for our lives. Thus, we should always think what is applicable for us to follow.
6) Be your own person. “I like to be a free spirit. Some don’t like that, but it’s the way I am.”
J: I personally tend to think of what others might think when I wanted to do/decide on something rather that think of what I really want. I realized this recently when we bought our running shoes. There was this shoes that I wanted at a slightly expensive price rather than the shoes that my husband was suggesting. Though it really looked similar, and we really could save a bit if I got the other shoes, I stuck with my decision and got the one I really wanted. This might not be something important for my husband but for me, it's a big thing sticking to what I really want. I know that if I am to get the other one, I might be using it lesser than how I'm using the one I have now and always ponder why I should have stuck to what I really want. Small things I realize about myself at the age of 30. Yeah! there's no age in learning about who you really are or supposed to be.
7) Learn the art of forgiveness. “When you are happy you can forgive a great deal.”
J: This part, I can be proud of myself. While others might find it hard to forgive, I always try to change my mindset look at the brighter side of things.
8) Live in the moment. “Life is just a journey.”
J: This is something I should always remind myself of as I tend to worry too much about the future especially when it comes to my daughters. Just relax and enjoy the moment.
9) Embrace diversity. “The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other.”
J: Having lived in Singapore for the past 5 years, I have learned a lot with regards to diversity and understanding that you are not alone in the planet. My daily commute to and from work dealing with different kind of people, smell, attitude and mannerisms gives me a day to day lesson on how to live and just respect others on whatever they may be.
10) Own your style. Diana’s most iconic outfit was undoubtedly her wedding dress. Created by
David and Elizabeth Emanuel, the out-there frothy gown was designed to make a statement with its dramatic 25-foot train and thousands of pearl embellishments. And boy did Diana rock it!
J: It doesn't need to be about weddings. Just our daily living on what meals we eat, the kind of clothes we wear should not be influenced by someone. Though we might find inspiration on others but just make sure to make it your own. Copy-cat is always a no-no.
11) Don’t believe everything you see on social media. “Being a princess isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.”
J: Social media is very powerful nowadays that it is very important that we know how to filter which one to believe on. As a matter of fact, in our past election, our current President's campaign tool was led by social media. How cool is that!
Hope you learn something from this post!
J
I'm not a person who followed the life of Princess Diana nor am a fan of British Royal Family.
I only knew them briefly due to media frenzy news regarding the what about's of their family like what they wear to an occasion, who got engaged, who just died, etc. But looking up at the articles at Yahoo this morning, this article caught my attention and I thought I can add up my two cents on each of them. I love reading life lesson articles online and try to adapt those I think would be applicable. That's my way of going out of the classroom learning book thought lessons and applying it in real life.
So here's Diana's life lessons according to Yahoo article: https://sg.style.yahoo.com/life-lessons-princess-diana-121808142.html
1) Know your priorities. “Family is the most important thing in the world.”
J : This is one reason why my hubby and I are trying to plan our comeback to our beloved country, The Philippines. To think that we already have the advantage and bigger chance of moving forward in migrating to career and family oriented countries like Australia and Canada, after much thinking, we settled and fixed our minds that indeed, The Philippines would be our destination to settle down for good. Another factor that made us decide this big decision for our family is the nationwide clean-up that our tough and patriotic leader President Rodrigo Duterte has started. To be honest, it was when he won as president that I felt proud again to say that I'm a Filipino. Living in a city like Singapore and seeing the difference between your country and theirs, you'll really feel how the Philippines sucked in a lot of ways. Anyways, as they say, change is coming! and I/we would be there to make sure our country stands back up to show the world how we are! yeah! see how patriotic am I now!hehehe
2) Treat others how you’d like to be treated. “Carry out a random act of kindness with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”
J: I've always been a strong believer of the golden rule! "Do not do unto others what you do not want others to do unto you". Thus, I make sure to live by this in my everyday life and hopefully inspire my daughters to do the same.
3) Show children you love them. “Hugs can do a great amount of good – especially for children.”
J: I remember the other morning, we're about to go to the office when our eldest woke up. I hugged her and said to her "I love you" multiple times. All I can see from her is her eyes twinkling of love and her sweetest smile. She didn't even reply "I love you too", as what she usually does, but that moment, no words are needed. It was magical! Both of us felt the love connection.
4) Don’t be afraid to show affection. “I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of feeling unloved.”
J: Every time I would bring along my eldest daughter to do groceries on a Saturday morning, there would always be a moment that she would hug my leg and say, I love you, mommy! I might not know what's so special that made her say that while we were just getting some fish and veggies but that kind of moments I would always treasure. If only I could catch those moments and have it recorded as a keepsake. If kids could be this affectionate, why not we show some love to others as well. Of course, we don't need to hug and say "I love you" but just be giving in general. Giving up your seat in public transportation to those in need, opening a door for someone (this isn't just for the gents) could make a difference.
5) Chuck out the rule book. “I don’t go by the rule book. I lead from the heart, not the head.”
J: I always love reading inspirational and life lesson articles. Most of the time, I go by them, but my husband thinks in a different way. His thoughts would be, though most of them might be true, but most of the time, it's not reality for us to make as a model for our lives. Thus, we should always think what is applicable for us to follow.
6) Be your own person. “I like to be a free spirit. Some don’t like that, but it’s the way I am.”
J: I personally tend to think of what others might think when I wanted to do/decide on something rather that think of what I really want. I realized this recently when we bought our running shoes. There was this shoes that I wanted at a slightly expensive price rather than the shoes that my husband was suggesting. Though it really looked similar, and we really could save a bit if I got the other shoes, I stuck with my decision and got the one I really wanted. This might not be something important for my husband but for me, it's a big thing sticking to what I really want. I know that if I am to get the other one, I might be using it lesser than how I'm using the one I have now and always ponder why I should have stuck to what I really want. Small things I realize about myself at the age of 30. Yeah! there's no age in learning about who you really are or supposed to be.
7) Learn the art of forgiveness. “When you are happy you can forgive a great deal.”
J: This part, I can be proud of myself. While others might find it hard to forgive, I always try to change my mindset look at the brighter side of things.
8) Live in the moment. “Life is just a journey.”
J: This is something I should always remind myself of as I tend to worry too much about the future especially when it comes to my daughters. Just relax and enjoy the moment.
9) Embrace diversity. “The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other.”
J: Having lived in Singapore for the past 5 years, I have learned a lot with regards to diversity and understanding that you are not alone in the planet. My daily commute to and from work dealing with different kind of people, smell, attitude and mannerisms gives me a day to day lesson on how to live and just respect others on whatever they may be.
10) Own your style. Diana’s most iconic outfit was undoubtedly her wedding dress. Created by
David and Elizabeth Emanuel, the out-there frothy gown was designed to make a statement with its dramatic 25-foot train and thousands of pearl embellishments. And boy did Diana rock it!
J: It doesn't need to be about weddings. Just our daily living on what meals we eat, the kind of clothes we wear should not be influenced by someone. Though we might find inspiration on others but just make sure to make it your own. Copy-cat is always a no-no.
11) Don’t believe everything you see on social media. “Being a princess isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.”
J: Social media is very powerful nowadays that it is very important that we know how to filter which one to believe on. As a matter of fact, in our past election, our current President's campaign tool was led by social media. How cool is that!
Hope you learn something from this post!
J
Comments
Post a Comment