Purchasing online in SG - Redmart (Part 1)

September 7, 2016

I used to be a typical shopper before. As a lady, I don't mind spending more than 2 hours doing grocery shopping. Trust me, I enjoy going to and fro the aisle of supermarkets and even take it as a challenge to be able to tick everything on my grocery list despite having our weekly budget. Feeding a total of 5 mouths in total (3adults and 2 toddlers) ain't easy. But budgeting is a different story, perhaps, I'll also blog in the coming days the challenges we encounter on that aspect, how much do we spend and even tips to maximize your money.

As what I said, our family used to buy our stuff at leading grocery stores here in Singapore such as NTUC Fairprice, Giant, Prime or Sheng Shiong. Before we had kids, I would start planning every Wednesday on what our menu would be for the next week. List down all the things to buy and try to recall which store sell the cheapest of every item. I would then list every item per store to be more organized. I tell you, it was time-consuming and tedious but with just me and my hubby and 2 days of weekend to do just anything, why not?!

Things changed when we had our first daughter. At first, going to the grocery became a chore to me. There are even times that I just let my husband do the grocery shopping  as I was too busy being a mom. Just as we're in the midst of getting adjusted to our new family setup, baby no.2 came unexpectedly. As our family grew bigger, so was the stuff that we needed to buy. Bottles of water were doubled, and so as diapers and cans of milk.

Since I'm still used to my old ways of doing things, I remember arguing with my husband as he wanted to start buying online instead. I find it being stubborn and highlighted that it only takes a while to buy our stuff. Plus I get to collect the points (usually at NTUC Fairprice) which allow you to buy a set of cookware for a portion of its original price if you have enough points to use as payment. Going online would mean I won't get be going to supermarkets which I used to love. What I felt like was I was being trapped from doing things that I love. Boy, I was wrong. hehe

As of writing, we've been buying from Redmart monthly our baby stuff for more than a year now and it has been amazing since then. We able to save ourselves from carrying these bulky and heavy stuff, but most especially, we get to spend more quality time with our daughters instead of queueing on long lines during the weekend that eats up almost half of our typical Saturdays. Moreover, our growing daughters are starting to get wiser asking mommy and daddy for unnecessary things they think is important for them "at the moment". It only results spending more than what we intend to but most especially it only results to tantrums in public for our daughters when they're not able to get what they want.

Nowadays, Saturdays are spent playing with our daughters and just about 30 minutes online ticking whatever stocks is needed. As per our experience, Redmart has been able to cater our needs just as we wanted. Though we haven't tried other online supermarkets yet, we're quite satisfied now and not thinking of switching anytime soon.


Here are the things I love about Redmart:

1) Their website is very easy to use. With over 25,000 products on their selection, you can easily use the top left portion as a dropdown to categories items they are selling. Inside every category is a much deeper breakdown. There's even an option wherein you can filter by brand, price and even place of origin of the product.

catergories 
much more breakdown of categories



you can filter by Brand, Price, Place of Origin
2) They are professional and punctual. You're able to pick a timing that suits your schedule on when they to have your goods delivered. Over the past year of buying from them, they only missed coming on time once. And that was forgivable as we're notified ahead of time of the delay. They're also kind enough to give us vouchers to use for our next purchase as a token.
lots of time slots to choose from
3) They offer lots of deals and sales too!!! Everyday low prices to choose from. It's no joke having two kids to feed. We make sure to buy by bulk which gives us a great deal and worth for our $$$.
you can filter on specific items on sale, top deals, multi buy deal or carton deals
5) They are kind enough to save your list of last purchases. This is helpful for us especially since we almost buy the same thing every month.hehe..talk about stubbornness and being efficient at the same time =)
my list of our last purchase

6) They also give freebies. I remember one time, they gave us a bunch of Dynamo laundry detergent sachet. It was more that 10 sachets if I remember correctly! I think our helper was able to use it on 2 weeks load of clothing. =) =) =)

7) Saves us from buying unnecessary things you normally see on sale during a trip to the store and to stick to our budget. We're human! No matter how you tell your brain, you don't need that much food, how could you resist that "SALE" screaming loudly at your face!

8) Time and effort (instant workout) saving! - Time is gold, not only in monetary terms but also quality time with loved ones. I'm referring to carrying heavy water bottles, cans of milk and diaper when I say instant workout. As of writing, we already saved our energy on carrying 642kg of goods!

yey!!! =)

9) They offer free delivery for $50 and above purchases. Reaching the minimum amount for free delivery never been an issue for us as we buy by bulk. Even a can of milk is above the said amount. So really no biggie on this.

10) There are a lot of credits/vouchers you can use to save more! A sample of this is you get $10 off easily just for purchasing for the first time or inviting a friend to purchase from them as well or coupon to get some additional discount on your final purchase amount.

So for families like us living in Singapore, hope this review helps you change your view in a good way. It may not apply to every family standard and perception on doing things, but this worked for us and we're very thankful that online supermarket is available to use.

Be wise not only in spending money but also in saving energy and time,
J

***All photos above are screenshot from Redmart website.
Disclaimer: Everything written above are based on our experience and opinion. We didn't get paid to do any advertising.

Comments